AmeriCorps is made up of several different programs - AmeriCorps State and National, AmeriCorps VISTA, and AmeriCorps NCCC - each with its own focus and structure. To help you determine which program is right for you, we’ve set down some basic guidelines. If you’re still unsure of the best fit for your skills, interests, and circumstances after reading the guidelines, check out our interactive selector.
If you are ...
- over age 17
- looking to put your idealism into practice
- interested in earning money to pay for college or to pay off student loans
- eager to gain new skills—or to apply the ones you already have
- interested in helping others and making a difference in your community
… then you should look into the thousands of AmeriCorps State and National programs that are meeting community local needs in education, the environment, public health and safety, and disaster preparedness and response.
If you are …
- concerned about poverty in America
- at least 18 years old
- either a college graduate or have a few years of work experience and skills
- an organizer, a resource-builder, a self-starter
- patient enough to work on a project that might not show results quickly
- interested in helping a low-income community establish a new program or enhance an existing program to help itself—and knowing it will continue long after you're gone
- comfortable staying in one community for the entire year
… then you might consider joining AmeriCorps VISTA.
If you are ....
- between 18 and 24 years old
- seeking hands-on work in one of the following areas:
- clearing trails
- providing disaster relief
- renovating housing
- tutoring kids
- other active assignments
- interested in doing a variety of projects
- looking to relocate and travel during your service term
- willing to live in a dorm
- excited about living and working with a close-knit team
… then you might consider joining AmeriCorps NCCC.
AmeriCorps is open to U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, and lawful permanent resident aliens age 17 and older. Members serve full- or part-time over a 9- to 12-month period, or during the summer.